I finally got around to organising my games and facing the backlog of games I knew I needed to finish (inspired by LifeHacker’s article). Looking through my games, I feel extremely guilty and ashamed because there are a few games I have never ever touched after all these years :'( It’s time I make 2016 the year that I cut down and tackle my backlog!
I organised the games into two piles: games I’ve finished and games I haven’t finished. It didn’t come to a surprise that my unfinished pile of games was huge haha! Games from top to bottom:
- I bought both Inazuma Eleven GO Galaxy Big Bang and Supanova from Amazon JP because they went down from 4000 to 900 yen each!!! I had to buy them because I was a bit of a Inazuma Eleven fanatic around that time (mainly because I marathoned all seasons haha).
- I played Pokemon Omega Ruby pretty intensely for a week or two before I gave it up and stopped… I think I was up to the 6th gym badge? I made pretty decent progress but I guess life got in the way (or new games haha) and so I never found the motivation to pick it up again.
- Final Fantasy Explorers was my most recent purchase and it was fun and exciting at first like every other game, but I think the main fun aspect of this game was being able to play with friends. I did have frequent gaming sessions with friends where I was able to tackle quests easily, but eventually it got harder to catch up or find time where all of us could play so we all just stopped.
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer got too repetitive to me. Designing house after house began to bore me and the excitement of completing housing projects soon faded over time.
- Rune Factory 4 was one of my favourite games at that time (thankyou to my dear friend who got me this as my birthday present!) and I played almost everyday. I got up to where I made Arthur (CV. Suzuki Tatsuhisa!!) my boyfriend, and waited for the event where I could marry him. I had all the requirements and played everyday hoping that the marriage event would trigger, but it never did so I gave up… and now I don’t know what I’m doing in the game anymore! Don’t worry Arthur, I’ll be back…
- I have this really bad habit with otome games where I’ll play routes of the characters I like and then would stop playing, thinking “I’ll get around to doing the other routes eventually”. Ofcourse that never happens and that’s what happened with Tokimeki Girl’s Side 3rd Story.
- Tales of Zestiria is a game I definitely love and recommend! I made decent progress as well and I would always look forward to playing it after work, but ofcourse life happens and when you stop playing for a long period of time, it’s pretty hard to bounce back.
- I haven’t really played Persona 4 Dancing All Night enough. I enjoy playing the rhythm aspect rather than going through the story so that explains why!
- Code Realize was from my friend Anne! I honestly didn’t think she’d give me her copy haha! I told myself not to touch this game until I finished all the other games… and that will probably take a very long time.
- Amnesia: Later I ordered when it was first up for preorder. And guess what? I never touched it after I got it, never inserted it into my PSP. I know, I deserved to be thrown in the trash. It’s probably because I got out of the otome game fandom after that so it’s hard to sort of prioritise this over other games.
- Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side Premium 3rd Story… I have yet to experience the new features that the DS version doesn’t have :’)
- Not pictured is Hatoful Boyfriend Holiday Star which I bought but also never got around to finishing it :( Soon!
Okay now that I’m done with going through my entire backlog of games, it’s time for step 2 and that’s to cut down and prioritise the list.
- Tales of Zestiria – I miss Mikleo a lot and I really do love this game. It will be hard to remember where I’m up to but finishing this will be a big weight off my shoulders.
- Persona 4 Dancing All Night – I don’t expect to play a lot but I think if I were to bring my Vita during long train trips etc. I can go through the story little by little and be happy knowing I’m at least making progress.
- Hatoful Boyfriend Holiday Star
- Code Realize – Perhaps diving into a new game will push me back into the otome games mood.
- Pokemon Omega Ruby
- Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side Premium 3rd Story
The rest of the games I have not listed because either I plan to sell or put them aside for the time-being since I’m still on the fence about what to do with them lol. What’s important is that I’ve cut down my list and so now I can start somewhere!
Since I’ve cut my list of games from 12 down to 6 (nice), it seems less daunting! I think I should start dedicating an hour of games a couple of days a week to make decent progress. I know I have a few days where I finish work early so if I schedule my days off and those days as ‘game days’ then I know I’ll be able to go through my backlog slowly :)
An important tip I took from the article:
If you’re not enjoying a game, don’t torture yourself with it. Play it until you’re satisfied and move on. There’s also nothing wrong with playing a game without the intent to finish it. You may very well know that you don’t have the time to commit to a game’s completion, but still want to give it a go for fun. Or maybe you want to be able to talk about a game with friends, so you play it just enough to understand it on their level. However you decide to approach the games on your “To-Play” list, always make sure your personal satisfaction is the focus.
Also, if you have a long list of games, think realistically. Cut down your list if you have to and start from there as an organised list will help you think clearly. But if you want to finish every single game you have, then ofcourse you can! If you’re struggling, don’t push yourself for the sake of completing it. If you’re happy with what you took from the game, stop and move on.
Will 2016 be the year I finally overcome my backlog? Let’s hope so!
What’s your backlog like? And how do you go through it?